Monday 6 February 2017

EP: Emily Sketches

As I struggle with character design, I found this to be a lot harder than I expected, as I struggled not to just simply re-create a character I had seen before. Having said this however, I feel that my initial character sketches have turned out quite well and I am pleased with my first attempt at my character. Referring back to my mood board I focused a lot on texture and line work, as I feel that these are two elements that will be important within my work. I also took a lot of inspiration from stop motion films such as The Boxtrolls, Paranorman and Coraline, as I really like the character designs within those films.

Although my initial sketches have turned out quite well, she is a little too detailed to animate with, but I feel that I have gained a better understanding of how I want her to look and how I want my line work to appear.

Initial sketches
Developed sketches and poses

I then decided to attempt to re-create the character digitally to see how she would translate from traditional media, I also used the opportunity to test a quick colour pallet to flesh her out a bit and give me an idea of how she would look rendered.

Digital and colour test

I am happy with the overall look of the character, however I feel that she is a little too detailed, especially the coat. This is something that I will address when I refine the character, but I like the rest of her and feel that there isn't too much to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment