Wednesday 15 March 2017

EP: James' Cabin

Last week, James sent me a screenshot of the cabin that he had been working on for a section of my animation. He'd decided to stick to quite a simple design using low poly shapes, but also tried to make the cabin look asymmetrical to aide in the result of an eerie atmosphere. I am really pleased with his design and feel that he has captured what I was looking for, with only a few minor tweaks being needed.

James' Cabin

From here James sent me the UV Maps to texture. I wasn't 100% certain how I wanted to texture the cabin, as I felt that drawing individual planks and then adding in detail would be a little too laborious and wouldn't necessarily work with the tone of the animation, unless I spent a while layering up the colours on each individual plank and so on. 
With this in mind I began to think of environments within animations that reflected a similar environment/ colour range and texture pallet that I was aiming for and I came to The Boxtrolls. Even though this is a stop motion film, the texture of the set and the colour pallet used felt right for what I wanted to achieve, so I used this for inspiration and my colour pallet. 

A set from The Boxtrolls

This led me to create a texture with a dry media brush in Photoshop and layer them up to create a dingy and grungy looking texture for my cabin. 

Main cabin texture

Window texture

Overall, I am really pleased with my textures. All that is left is for James to test them on his cabin and for me to make any tweaks if needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment