Friday 3 March 2017

EP: Storyboards and First Animatic

The storyboards for this project have taken me a lot longer than expected to complete due to the script being very detailed. Having said this however, having a very detailed script has allowed me to precisely pinpoint actions and story developments with little trouble.

Not only this, but the storyboard has turned out to be a lot longer than I would have liked for a 2 minute film. However, reading the script, I wasn't sure what I would be bale to cut and what I needed for the story to make sense, so I decided that I would storyboard the whole thing out roughly first and then figure out what I could cut,

Once I'd done this, the process of cutting things weren't any easier. I ended up with over 150 panels, and whilst some of the panels were only depicting expression changes and very quick actions, it was still too many panels.
I was having a lot of trouble cutting the story down, so I recruited the help of my peers, as they would have a more objective view of the story. Once they'd had a look at the panels I had managed to cut a small portion of them and put them together into my first animatic.



For my first pass I feel that the animatic works well. However, it feels really rushed in some areas and I feel that there's a lot of information to take in and it's quite difficult to follow in most parts. I also feel that some of the scenes jump from one to the other with no time to register what has just happened and give a viewer time to process the story.
I think I need to continue to cut down on panels to try and reduce the time of the film but make it clear and enjoyable, rather than an overload of information.

No comments:

Post a Comment